- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Avocado oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a 15 1/4 by 10 1/4-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the oats in a blender until they have a breadcrumb consistency.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil and hot sauce. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Dip a piece of the chicken into the olive oil–hot sauce mixture then immediately into the oat-Parmesan mixture, coating it generously. Place the piece of chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Lightly spray the chicken nuggets with the avocado oil spray. Bake the chicken for 8 minutes.
- Flip the chicken nuggets and bake them for 5 more minutes, or until they are crispy and brown.
- Serve the chicken nuggets immediately with additional hot sauce and veggies.
This is a better-for-you breaded chicken recipe that’s made with fewer calories, boasts nutritious ingredients and is kid-approved. Serve these nuggets for lunch with your favorite veggie as a side or as a healthy appetizer.
Megan is a certified nutrition practitioner in private practice in Phoenix, Arizona. She helps women over 35 lose weight and keep it off for good. You can see all her programs and services here.
She lost 80 pounds in 2009, is living with Hashimoto’s disease, cycle instructor and creator of Skinny Fitalicious. She loves food, fitness, travel and all things wellness with a few unhealthy things sprinkled in here and there!