- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp anise seeds or ground anise*
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 (6 inch) soft gluten-free corn tortillas, torn into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 oz dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Toast pumpkin seeds and almonds in a dry skillet, tossing over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a high-speed blender.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan set over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, along with chili powder, cinnamon, coriander, anise seeds, and ground cloves, and sauté with onion-garlic mixture for 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender.
- Soak raisins in boiling water to soften for 10 minutes. Drain raisins. Add drained raisins, molasses, lime juice, torn tortillas, and broth to blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended sauce back to sauté pan set over medium-low heat. Add chocolate and simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts and sauce reduces, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cooked and shredded chicken to sauce and warm through over low heat. Serve over brown rice.
*If you can’t find anise seeds or ground anise, omit from the recipe.
347 Calories, 31 g Protein, 26 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 13 g Total fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono, 2 g poly), 176 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, ★★★★ Phosphorus, Selenium, ★★ Vitamin B12, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic acid, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), Vitamin C, E, Biotin, Iron, Potassium