"The Good-to-Go Cookbook" by Kathleen Cannata Hanna ($16.95, Storey Publishing, 2008)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green, red, or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 (32 oz) can peeled whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp Tex-Mex-style seasoning
- 2 (15 oz) cans pinto beans, drained
- Salt and black pepper
- Cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add canned and fresh tomatoes and seasonings; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir beans into thickened tomato sauce; simmer 5 minutes longer to heat beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.
Kitchen Notes: If you don’t have Tex-Mex-style seasoning, substitute 1/2 teaspoon each of basil, oregano, thyme, and chili powder.