For the Sauce
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
For the "Pulled Pork"
- 2 (14 oz) cans young jackfruit in brine, drained
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- Water as needed
- Gluten-free buns for serving
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm canola oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring constantly, until it starts to sizzle. Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté for 10 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a cup, whisk together apple and lemon juices, tomato paste, and cider vinegar. Add mixture to sauté pan, along with brown sugar, mustard, salt, chipotle powder, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce, if using. Stir until well combined, bring to a simmer, and cook at a barely bubbling simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit very well to try to remove as much salt as possible. In a large sauté pan with a lid over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add jackfruit to pan and stir. When jackfruit starts to stick and brown, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until it is fully browned and pan is dry.
- Add vegetable stock to pan; it will bubble up. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, checking halfway through cooking time to see if pan is dry; if needed, add water to keep it from sticking.
- Uncover pan and mash jackfruit with a fork or potato masher. Add O cup of prepared barbecue sauce and K cup water and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot on buns.
With buns: 427 Calories, 9 g Protein, 79 g Carbohydrates, 5 g Fiber, 11 g Total fat (2 g sat), 803 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B6, ★★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), C, ★★★ Folate, ★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), E, Potassium, ★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus