- 5 large Roma tomatoes, whole
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- Make sure your kitchen is well ventilated. Put a piece of foil in a heavy saute pan and set it over medium-high heat.
- Place the whole tomatoes, chile and garlic cloves in the pan and dry-roast them on all sides until well charred and soft. The garlic and chiles will be done quickly; the tomatoes may take 10 minutes or longer to cook.
- Peel the garlic and stem the chile. Place the tomatoes, garlic and chile in a food processor with the onion, salt and cilantro. Pulse until the salsa is smooth and taste for seasoning.
This salsa will keep, refrigerated, for several days.