Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5 c)
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or more to coat
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (can substitute with 3/4 tsp honey, or omit altogether)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
6-quart Slow Cooker
- To make Sweet Potato Salad: Add sweet potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and cilantro to a 6-quart slow cooker and give vegetables a quick stir to combine. Mix chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and chipotle powder in a small dish.
- Drizzle oil over vegetables and then sprinkle spice mixture over them. Stir well until vegetables are evenly coated and then cover slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 3 to 3K hours, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender but not mushy. Stir in kale during last 30 minutes of cooking.
- To make Lime Vinaigrette: Combine oil, lime juice, cilantro, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt, ground coriander, and black pepper in a small bowl or jar, or a salad dressing container if you’re doubling ingredients. Shake to combine. Store extra vinaigrette in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Remove vegetables from slow cooker. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before combining with lime vinaigrette if you’re serving the salad cold, or combine immediately if serving warm.
Despite the name, this veggie dish is flavorful but not all that spicy, though you can tailor the spice level to your liking. Served warm or cold, this is a tasty side salad for summer evenings or paired with a hearty protein for a warm winter meal. The zesty vinaigrette can be—and arguably should be— doubled to use on other salads or as a delicious chicken marinade.