- 4 tsp organic extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste, divided
- 6 to 8 organic carrots, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 organic Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- Scant pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups spring or filtered water
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, remove leaves and finely shred them
- Place 2 teaspoons of oil, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt in large, flat-bottomed skillet set over medium heat. Arrange carrots in oil mixture, avoiding overlap as much as possible.
- Cover skillet and listen closely for strong sizzle sound. When you hear this, reduce heat to low and cook until carrots are tender and liquid has become a thick syrup, 15 to 20 minutes (depending on size of carrot pieces).
- In large saucepan, place remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and onion over medium heat. When onion sizzles, add pinch of salt. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes, nutmeg, braised carrots, and water. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Transfer soup by ladles to food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pot and warm through. Serve garnished with mint.