- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dried green, brown, or French green lentils
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, and a generous pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until mushrooms are tender and have released their juices.
- Stir in K teaspoon salt and the thyme, rosemary, pepper, and lentils. Pour in broth and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Stir in kale, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve piping hot.
257 Calories, 15 g Protein, 42 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fiber, 5 g Total fat (1 g sat), 275 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin A, C, K, ★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Phosphorus, ★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B6, Iron, Potassium, ★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc