Excerpted from 365 Slow Cooker Suppers © 2013 by Stephanie O’Dea. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
- 1 c boiling water
- 1/2 c dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 c diced baby carrots
- 1 c wild rice, rinsed
- 6 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- In a saucepan, combine water and mushrooms. Cover, and let mushrooms sit for 15 minutes, before draining and placing mushrooms into the insert of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, and rice. Pour in broth.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours, or on High for about 3 1/2 hours.
This makes a wonderful light meal. Shiitake mushrooms provide lots of flavor to this classic soup. The wild rice bursts a bit while slow cooking, resembling barley.
Per serving: 305 Calories, 11 g Protein, 60 g Carbohydrates, 6 g Fiber, 4 g Total fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono, 1 g poly), 178 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin A, Manganese, ★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), Magnesium, Phosphorus, ★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B6, Selenium