- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into large pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups plain yogurt, stirred to loosen
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Toss onion, carrots, and apple with oil. Spread mixture in a single layer and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples and onion begin to turn golden.
- Remove mixture from baking sheet and place in a large stockpot. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Toast cumin seeds in a small, dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes; cool. Finely grind seeds in a spice mill.
- Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to same stockpot. Whisk in lemon juice and allspice. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.
- Place yogurt in a small dish so guests can spoon some over soup.