- 1 pound small green lentils
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts (2 liters) organic chicken broth
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of water for 1 hour.
- Drain and set aside.Put the oil in a large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the vegetables and sauté until they are just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, until the lentils are soft.
- Serve with crusty bread drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.