- 1 pound small green lentils
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts (2 liters) organic chicken broth
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of water for 1 hour.
- Drain and set aside.Put the oil in a large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the vegetables and sauté until they are just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, until the lentils are soft.
- Serve with crusty bread drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil.
Rosanna Bowles started her successful dishware company in 1982. She has won many design awards for her tableware, including the Gift of the Year award in the UK. She has been featured in the New York Times, Country Living, Family Circle, O magazine, Real Simple, harper's Bazaar, and many other publications. She lives in Seattle, WA and on the coast of Oregon. Visit her web site at www.rosannainc.com