The Medicine Cabinet
Keep these simple, natural remedies on hand in case you or your family comes down with a cold or flu:
- Garlic—a spicy hot drink made with hot water, chopped garlic, and a little honey for sweetening can soothe upper respiratory symptoms and boost immunity against colds and flu.
- Coconut oil—a tablespoon a day may help fight viruses and reduce the duration of your illness.
- Olive leaf extract—take the recommended dose three times per day to increase your antiviral immune defenses.
- Frozen chicken soup—make homemade chicken soup and freeze it to keep on hand during cold and flu season.
- Mushroom formula—keep a high quality medicinal mushroom formula as part of your daily health regimen, and increase the dosages to help support recovery from colds and flu.
“The Anti-influenza Virus Activity of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Olive Leaves” by Afagh Moatari et al., Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 2006
“Chicken Soup and Sickness” A.D.A.M Medical Encyclopedia, Pubmed Health, 10/14/12
“Garlic: Nature's Protection Against Physiological Threats” by M.S. Butt et al., Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, 6/09
“How to Boost Your Immune System” Harvard Health Publication, Harvard Medical School, 2014
“Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World” by Melissa Clark, The New York Times, 3/1/11