- 1 lb fresh or frozen butter beans (lima beans)
- 1/2 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- Leaves from 1 sprig oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried oregano)
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter beans, garlic cloves, oil, red pepper flakes, and 2 cups cold water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook over low heat until beans are tender, about 15 minutes. Once beans are tender, take pot off heat. Cover and allow beans to sit in poaching liquid for 10 minutes.
- Squish garlic along with a few beans against side of pot. (The squished beans will make the dish creamy without the addition of cream or butter.)
- Add oregano and season to taste with vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Keep beans covered in warm cooking liquid until ready to serve.