- 1 butternut squash or other hard squash, like acorn squash.
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Carefully remove the peel with a sharp knife or peeler.
- Remove any seeds with a spoon.
- Cut the squash into long, thin rectangular pieces (like fries).
- Cover pieces in a liberal amount of salt and let them sit for 10–15 minutes.
- Then soak pieces in a bowl of water for up to 30 minutes. If needed, you can let them sit and soak overnight.
- Drain the water; pat them very dry.
- Toss with coconut oil.
- Lay them on a baking sheet and season with sea salt or your favorite seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes; flip the fries over with a spatula and bake for another 10 minutes so both sides get browned.
- The fries are done when they brown on the edges. You want them crispy, not soggy.