The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester ($19.99, Fair Winds, 2011)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups vanilla-flavored almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or scrape 1/4 tsp vanilla paste from a split whole vanilla bean
- 1/8 tsp stevia (optional)
- Slivered almonds, for serving
- Slow Cooker
- The night before: Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer to remove bitter coating.
- Oil crock of your slow cooker.
- Combine quinoa, milk, cranberries, applesauce, vanilla, and stevia in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- In the morning: Stir quinoa, and taste and adjust seasonings, or add more liquid. Top with slivered almonds.
- This recipe uses a 1 1/2 to 2-quart slow cooker. You can double or triple the recipe and use a larger slow cooker if you like.
- Some dried cranberries and applesauces contain ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid, like lemon juice, will curdle even nondairy milks. If yours contain it, cook with water instead of nondairy milk.
- Try switching out different flavors of apple or pear sauce, or using fruit butters or purees.