- 6 cups blueberries, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp red currant jelly
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 package frozen puff pastry dough, defrosted according to package instructions
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt, optional
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, combine 4 cups of the blueberries, the sugar, cornstarch, salt, water, and jelly. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove pan from heat.
- Add butter, lemon juice, and remaining 2 cups of blueberries to saucepan. Stir until butter is melted. Divide blueberry mixture into 8 individual baking cups or ramekins.
- Roll defrosted puff pastry to V-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut pastry into 8 rounds, making sure they are slightly larger than tops of baking cups. Place puff pastry rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Paint pastry rounds with beaten egg and a pastry brush, taking care not to drip any egg wash down sides of pastry tops. Freeze pastry rounds for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove pastry rounds from freezer. If desired, scribe a design onto pastry tops using a sharp paring knife.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Bake pastry tops for 15 to 20 minutes, or until puffed and browned.
- Top each blueberry-filled baking cup with a baked puff pastry round. Serve with ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
Per serving (without ice cream): 339 Calories, 4 g Protein, 52 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 14 g Total fat (4 g sat), 123 mg Sodium, ★★★ Vitamin K, ★★ Vitamin C, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin)