From Power Bowls by Christal Sczebel, CHN ($19.95, Sterling Epicure, 2017)
Photo credit: Christal Sczebel
- 1 Tbsp shredded or ribbon cut unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2–3 tsp raw honey, plus a drizzle to garnish
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 heaping Tbsp gluten-free graham crackers, crushed
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Place coconut in a small saucepan set over medium heat and toast coconut until it begins to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place yogurt in a bowl and mix in lemon juice, honey, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Arrange or layer kiwifruit and then crushed graham crackers on top of yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with toasted coconut, lemon zest, and drizzle with a little honey.
Lemon and kiwifruit bring vitamin C and antioxidants to this bowl that emulates a cream pie. The yogurt tastes like custard and contains healthy fats, probiotics, and calcium. A toothsome crumble, made from gluten-free graham crackers, supplies a perfect finish for this “pie.” Increase the protein content by replacing the coconut yogurt with plain unsweetened Greek yogurt, which is higher in protein.
Per serving: 281 Calories, 8 g Protein, 43 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 10 g Total fat (7 g sat), 114 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin C, ★★★ Vitamin K, Phosphorus, ★★ Calcium, ★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B12, Magnesium, Potassium