- 1 1/4 cups Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener
- or 1 2/3 cup Organic Zero Erythritol
- 1 1/4 cups medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp unprocessed salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 Tbsp pure cacao powder
- 1 large beet, cubed and lightly steamed (170 grams)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into chunks (50 grams)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp raw yacon syrup (optional, for a caramel flavor)
- Food Processor
- Digital Scale (for apples and beets)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly dust with coconut flour or arrowroot powder two 8-inch round cake pans or a 12-cupcake pan.
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a very fine powder.
- Add shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is uniformly fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add arrowroot, baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast, and cacao powder. Mix well and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- For wet ingredients, it is better to use a blender for a smooth red color. Place in blender the beet, eggs, apple, vanilla, almond extract, and yacon syrup (if using).
- Blend very well until beet and apple are liquefied and smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir briefly until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s). Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or 8-inch layers for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan(s) on a rack.