- 1⁄2 cup (125 g) unsalted almond butter
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) brown rice syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups (85 g) gluten-free vegan crisp rice cereal (Make sure to check the label.)
- 1⁄3 cup (55 g) vegan mini dark chocolate chips
- Line an 8 x 8–inch (20 x 20–cm) baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- Add the almond butter, brown rice syrup and salt to a sauce pot. Warm over medium heat, until the almond butter is melted into a thick, smooth texture. Turn off the heat.
- Add the rice cereal and stir, until everything is coated in the almond butter mixture. Add the chocolate chips and mix one more time to fully combine.
- Transfer the almond butter mixture to the prepared baking tin. Press it evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Pack down the mixture firmly so that it sticks together.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up before cutting into 16 bars.
- Keep this stored in the fridge or at room temperature for up to 5 days
I used to love rice crispy treats when I was a kid. I mean, I still love the taste, but I don’t love all the butter and sugar they contain. These bars are my modern-day take with a healthier twist. They’re the perfect combo of salty and sweet. I like to make mine with almond butter, but feel free to use cashew or peanut butter instead. You can also use maple syrup in place of the rice syrup; just keep in mind that the bars might not stick together quite as well.