- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (for a gluten -free version use your favorite gluten-free flour)
- 1 beaten egg yolk (you may need more)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir the yeast into the water, and let the mixture stand until a creamy layer forms on top.
- Stir in honey and salt until dissolved.
- Beat the 3 eggs and add to the mixture.
- Mix in the flour, a cupful at a time, until the dough is sticky.
- Knead until smooth - use a little extra flour as dough should be sticky.
- Form the dough ball, and place in an oiled bowl.
- Turn the dough over several times in the bowl to oil the surface of the dough.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough, and cut it into 3 equal-sized pieces.
- Working on a floured surface, roll the small dough pieces into ropes about the thickness of your thumb and about 12 inches long. Make sure they are fatter in the middle and thinner at the ends.
- Pinch 3 ropes together at the top and braid them.
- Once braided pinch the ends of the loaf under the bread
- Place the braided loaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake until the top browns to a rich golden color and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it with a spoon, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing.
This sweet egg bread also makes fabulous French toast!