- 1/2 cup EDEN Spaghetti Sauce No Salt or EDEN Spaghetti Sauce (Salted)
- 1 Tbsp EDEN Brown Mustard
- 2 Tbsp EDEN Barley Malt Syrup
- 2 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp EDEN Shoyu Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp EDEN Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp EDEN Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 drops prepared hot sauce, or to taste, optional
- 1 pound organic tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes and steamed 15 minutes
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 8 medium button mushrooms, washed or fresh shiitake, crimini, or any fresh musrooms that can easily be skewered
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thick strips or large chunks
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thick wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in thick rounds
- 8 thick bamboo skewers or metal skewers
- Prepare the barbecue sauce by placing all the sauce ingredients into a blender. Puree several seconds until smooth.
- Attractively arrange the tempeh cubes and pieces of each vegetable on the shish kebab sticks. Baste with the barbecue sauce and grill, turning and basting to prevent burning or drying out of the vegetables. Grill until the vegetables are tender, about 7 to 10 minutes.
Seitan, tofu, shellfish or seafood may be substituted for tempeh as a variation. Other vegetables such as shallots, red onion, different colored peppers, different mushrooms, yellow summer squash or even snap peas can be substituted for any of the above vegetables.
411 calories, 15 g fat (33% calories from fat), 24 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium