From The Lagasse Girls’ Big Flavor, Bold Taste and No Gluten! by Jilly Lagasse and Jessie Lagasse Swanson ($30, Da Capo, 2014)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium clean bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, almost like you’re making a meringue.
- Gently fold sugar, vanilla and orange extracts, and shredded and flaked coconut into egg white mixture.
- Scoop a level tablespoon of the batter and drop it onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all of the batter has been dropped onto the baking sheets. With your fingers, slightly pinch the top of each macaroon to make a little peak and to keep them from spreading out too thin.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. The tops should turn a light golden-brown. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature and store extras in an airtight container.
If you don’t like orange flavor, you can use a full teaspoon of the vanilla extract or any other extract you prefer instead.