- 1 lb carrots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted, coarsely chopped walnuts (see sidebar)
- 1 4-inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and shredded on a box grater
- 2 Tbsp minced shallot
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a food processor fitted with the coarse shredding blade, shred carrots. Combine carrots, cranberries, and walnuts in large bowl.
- A handful at a time, squeeze shredded ginger into medium bowl to extract juice. (You should have about 2 tablespoons ginger juice.) Add shallot and vinegar. Gradually whisk in oil. Pour over carrot mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate to soften cranberries, about 1 hour. (Salad can be made up to 2 days ahead.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.