- 4 large cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 red onion peeled, very thinly sliced, rinsed in cold water and drained*
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or as long as 24 hours. (4 to 6 hours is best.)
- Adjust seasoning and serve well-chilled.
*Rinsing raw onions in cold water tames their harshest flavors just enough to make them palatable when you are serving them raw. Place the sliced or chopped onion in a small strainer and rinse it well under cold running water, or place in a bowl of cold water, swirl it around, and then drain and rinse it in a small strainer.
Hope Cohen is a Philadelphia native and self-taught chef. As founder and President of Strawberryblonde Consulting, she advises an ever-more-prestigious list of clients on restaurant concepts, cuisine, menus and proper culinary execution. Her hard work has earned her the reputation of one of Philadelphia's gastronomic movers and shakers.