Food You Want For the Life You Crave by Nealy Fischer ($28, Hachette Book Group, 2019)
Photo Credit: Aubrie Pick
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and smashed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp mango chutney
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cup diced, cooked chicken (preferably grilled)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews, toasted
- 4 tsp dried goldenberries*
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Make dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender, and pulse until smooth. Or to prepare by hand, make sure avocado and chutney’s mango pieces are smashed smooth (you can use a fork to do this), and then whisk all dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl. Taste dressing and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- In a serving bowl, stir together chicken, onion, celery, cashews, goldenberries, and cilantro. Toss with just enough dressing to coat. Taste and add more if necessary.
- Garnish with extra cilantro to serve. This salad may be made an hour ahead of serving and refrigerated to chill.
*If you can’t find goldenberries, you can substitute regular or golden raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries.
In this salad, the mayonnaise has been reduced significantly by including an avocado, and the goldenberries add a sweet but tart punch. This salad is a great way to use up leftover chicken, is fun served as an accompaniment to a salad bar, and is an easy to-go lunch layered on a bed of greens with a light dressing
442 Calories, 34 g Protein, 14 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 28 g Total fat (6 g sat), 398 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, ★★★★ Phosphorus, ★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B12, ★ Vitamin E, K, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc