Courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, chopped 1 lb peeled carrots, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth Milk or fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, as desired (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp minced mint, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in medium Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium-high until hot. Saute onion and leek until onion is translucent, 4 minutes.
- Mix in carrots and apple. Tightly cover pot, reduce heat, and cook gently until vegetables give up most of their juices, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth. Cover and cook until carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Let soup sit, uncovered, about 20 minutes, to cool slightly. Purée soup in a blender or food processor, if necessary in two batches. (Blender makes a smoother soup.) If soup is too thick, add milk or broth, as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with mint.