- 2 lbs bottom round, well-trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 1 large onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 pound potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Slow cooker, 4 to 6 quarts
- Coat the beef in the flour. Heat a few tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions and celery to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions and celery; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Pour the water into the skillet and scrape. Add mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stir the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, thyme, and bay leaf in to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1⁄2 hours, or on high for 4 hours. Add the peas and heat through.