- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 bunches finely chopped scallions, both white and green parts
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin, or to taste Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- Heavily coat a medium skillet with cooking oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add scallions, red pepper, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and saute until very soft, about 5 minutes. Do not let vegetables brown. Remove vegetables from heat and mix in beans and rice.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and process until mixture is coarsely chopped. Be careful not to over-process.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add egg white and mix in lightly with fork until just blended. Mix in bread crumbs with fork until lightly blended.
- Form mixture into eight patties. (Patties will hold their shape better if refrigerated, covered, at least 30 minutes.)
- When ready to saute patties, lightly coat skillet with cooking oil spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties and saute on both sides until nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve plain or with lettuce and tomato on whole-grain buns.
174 Calories, 7 g Protein, 38 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 3 g Total fat, 548 mg Sodium, Vitamin K, Manganese, Vitamin B6, C, Iron, Selenium