- 3/4 lb small beets (mixed red and candy-striped, if available), halved
- 1/2 lb small turnips, whole and unpeeled
- 1/2 lb carrots, cut in 2-inch diagonal pieces
- 1/2 lb small parsnips, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 to 1/2 cups olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 small eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 6 to 7 garlic cloves, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wash vegetables under running water. Trim green tops from beets, turnips, carrots, and parsnips to 1 inch, but do not peel. (Cooking with the skin on prevents the color from fading.)
- Place beets in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap beets in two or three foil packets and place on a baking sheet. (If using different colors of beets, use separate bowls and packets for each color.)
- Using the cooking oil spray, mist a second baking sheet that has sides.
- Place turnips, carrots, parsnips, eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves on it in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Place both baking sheets in the oven.
- Vegetables are done when they feel tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove vegetables from oven and place all except beets in a large, shallow bowl.
- Open foil packets containing beets. When cool enough to handle, remove beet skins. Add to other vegetables in bowl and toss gently to mix, adding more olive oil and seasonings, if desired. Arrange on a warm platter and serve.
191 Calories, 3 g Protein, 26 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 10 g Total fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono, 1 g poly), 90 mg Sodium, Vitamin A, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), B6, E, Pantothenic acid, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium