- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lime zest plus 1 Tbsp juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce, plus extra for serving
- 1 1/2 lb broccoli, florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stalks peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- For the Dressing: Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside for serving.
- For the Broccoli: Bring 1 inch water to boil in a large pot. Place broccoli in a collapsible steamer basket, and then transfer basket to pot. Cover and cook until broccoli is tender and bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer broccoli to bowl with dressing and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and extra hot sauce to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The tricky part about steaming broccoli is keeping the delicate florets from turning to mush while simultaneously cooking the dense stalks through until tender. To guarantee even cooking, cut the florets into large 1-inch pieces and cut the stalks into small 1/8-inch pieces. A quick and bright dressing flavored with lime and cumin dresses the broccoli.